Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 5 - Rest for Your Soul

While yesterday’s time with the Father seemed to be about asking for the good paths, today seemed to illuminate the phrase “find rest for your soul.” 

Interestingly, I didn’t get in my time this morning.  I had an unexpected interruption and had to wait.  Not an excuse, just an explanation. I went on to work where a day of meetings and emails and studying begged for my attention.  I have the glorious privilege of being in paid ministry and we happen to have a brand new Prayer Cabin on our property where our church offices our. (I know, it’s amazing!)  Knowing I would be out all evening for ministry, I found a space late in my work afternoon to sneak over to the Prayer Cabin for a mini-retreat.  I spent just over an hour in the presence of the Holy One. I snuggled up in the comfy easy chair, covered up under a blanket and after soaking in some praise music and talking with the Lord I found myself nodding off.  Now let me back-track to explain that each day at the end of my time with Him I write “ASK” at the top of a clean journal page and wait for the whisper of what I am to ask for.  This afternoon however, I sensed the Lord urging me to not write “ask” but instead, to write, “PAUSE.”  Thus, I did. And then my mind followed my pen as I wrote a letter to me, from the Father.

“Sherilyn, you are weary and tired.  Soul weary and body tired.  You’re empty.  I’m so glad you are coming to Me, the fountain of Living Water.  Your soul is parched and thirsty.  Your body is begging for rest.  Come, drink from My fountain.  Come, retreat in My presence.  Come, lay at My feet and rest.  Come, enjoy sweet relief from the demands of your world.  And above all, when you come, Relax.  (Imagine here the my list of all the things weighing heavy on my heart and mind.) Your time is in My hands.  I love you. What else matters?  I love you. I am enough for all that concerns you.  I love you.  I’ll make a way where there seems to be no way.  I love you.  That will never ever change.  I love you.  Now and forever.  You alone are mine.  I alone am God; Father, Savior and Comforter.  Receive.” 

Immediately upon writing in my journal, I fell asleep. I think that’s ok.  To sleep during our time with Him.  We sleep when we are relaxing with those we are close to. I think its ok to sleep when we are with God.  I really do.  I wonder if God watched me as I enjoyed my little catnap like I used to watch my boys when they were sleeping?  And I wonder if He smiled as He stood over me there in that small prayer cabin resting?  Like I used to smile with such contented delight over my children as they slept.  I woke and re-read Jeremiah 6:16 in the NIV Bible  …

“Ask where the good way is,
walk in it,
and you will find rest for your soul.”

From there I read Isaiah 55:1-3 where we are invited to come to the waters if we are thirsty and without money to come, buy and eat” and then I read all of Isaiah 58 about fasting and Sabbath.  The Holy Spirit said that Sabbath is His invitation for us to “press pause” and rest; body, soul and spirit. I love that! Press pause and rest.  Ultimately, the promise here is that when we find the good paths, the ancient ways and then walk in them, rest will be by-product.  And who doesn’t need rest these days?  What renewal for me as I spent time with Him there in our little Prayer Cabin. It was good to be in His presence this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment