Monday, March 21, 2011

The 21 Day Challenge

I have been teaching a women’s Bible study called “The Moving Company” for eight years.  The Moving Company is all about “getting from where we are to where God wants us to be.”  Thus, the name.  

Last week at The Moving Company, I confessed my neglect of habitually practicing some of the Spiritual Disciplines for many months now. I shared that I sense the Lord beckoning me to exercise some self-discipline in re-creating the habit of daily time with Him, quality and quantity. So, after teaching from Luke 24 about the two who walked on the Emmaus road with Jesus, and yet did not recognize Him until he broke the bread, gave thanks and their eyes were opened, I offered a small challenge to The Moving Company girls.  On the basis of Luke 24:32, I challenged them to make one change in regard to the Spiritual Disciplines of Prayer and personal Bible Study (reading/meditating) over the following two weeks. 

Not wanting to challenge anyone to do anything without doing it myself, I renewed my commitment to spend time with God every day for three weeks as experts say it takes 21 days to form a new habit.  (I asked the girls for two weeks because The Moving Company meets every two weeks.)  I've decided to post my journal on each of those 21 days here on my blog. There is no promise of anything profound, just simple truths from His Word that lighten my load, renew my mind and move me toward transformation in my heart, and life. I will return to Day 1 which was Thursday, March 17, 2011 and add the journal entries prior to today. 

Here's to a new habit and prayerfully, a changed life ....

Luke 24:32 
“They asked each other,
‘Were not our hearts burning within us while
he talked with us on the road
and opened the Scriptures to us?’”  
(italics mine)

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to share with you all that God has been doing in my life since I took your challenge (even if it was a few days before you gave it to us :-P) to put God before my knitting time :-) It's been an AMAZING week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Abigsil!!! It truly has been amazing so far!! But then again, isn't God amazing so when we spend time with Him, why would our time/our days/our weeks be amazing! Thanks for the challenge Sherilyn and your willingness to share your journey here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops...sorry Abigail for the misspelling of your name in my previous post...my eyes aren't fully awake yet =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you girls! I'm just saying ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Auntie this is so awesome. I was just praying for the Moving Company and you yesterday. I'm on board for the challenge even from California. Love love love you and your example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is saying the same message to so many people regarding spending time with Him!! I will join you starting today 3/23 since I just read your post! I'm excited to see/hear how God is going to bless us as we make/take the time to bless Him with our presence!! Love you my sisterfriend!!

    ReplyDelete