Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why Do I Hate Religion; Let Me Count the Ways

I hate religion.  I made that statement recently to someone who had been hurt by religion; by religious people. This person was actually willing to defend religion on the premise that "hate is a strong word." I do hate religion I argued. Detest. Abhor. Disdain. Loathe. Despise.  All of the above. Use any one of them to describe my sentiments about religion and it fits.  My opinion doesn't matter much in the whole scheme of things but when I read the New Testament accounts, I am convinced that Jesus hated religion.  Hear what I'm NOT saying - Jesus didn't hate religious people.  Nor do I.  He simply hated religion and its affects on the hearts of men.  Particularly as it painted their view of the Father.

I once heard a woman define religion in a most poignant way.  Religion is man's idea of God's expectations, she expressed. Therein lies the problem, religion was never God's idea. I consider it absurd to think that God would send his only and most loved Son to earth to be misunderstood, unjustly accused and ill-treated; let alone to die a heinous death on a cross, so that you and I could have a nice little set of rules to follow.  A spiritual check list with a formula for how we are to act, speak, dress, dictate where we go and what we do, and what we don't do.  Rules that make us feel good about ourselves and about God when we follow them.  The same rules that make us feel badly when we don't.  I have a serious problem with that because the purpose for which Jesus came to the earth, other than to serve, was so that you and I might have abundant life. Abundant means to be full, have the supply met and then some, go beyond sufficient.  When I was in bondage to religion, my life was totally deficient in abundance.  At least the kind that translated into LIFE for me.  However, when my life was full of religion it was overly abundant in condemnation, guilt, discouragement, defeat, boredom, bitterness, resentment, and on an on the list could go. I hate religion.  In fact, if there was a Religious Anonymous chapter to join, I would.  I'd be delighted to stand up at every meeting and proclaim, "Hi, I'm Sherilyn and I'm a recovering religi-aholic."  I'd go on to describe a life now overly abundant in grace, mercy, loving-kindness, joy, peace, forgiveness, freedom, and on and on the list could go.

Why do I hate religion?  Let me count the ways ...

1.  Religion makes the rule more important than the relationship.  Grace values the relationship above all the differences.
2.  Religion reminds others of their sin.  Grace reminds others to stay in the shadow of the cross.
3.  Religion becomes all about what not to do.  Grace finds common ground.
4.  Religion builds walls.  Grace builds bridges. 
5.  Religion needs others to look, speak and act the same.  Grace makes room for diversity.
6.  Religion rejects. Grace pursues.
7.  Religion is rude. Grace is considerate.
8.  Religion judges.  Grace understands and lets God be God.
9.  Religion yells and demands and gets angry.  Grace whispers and leaves options and forgives.
10.Religion pities those not on the "inside."  Grace serves those on the "outside."
11.Religion is close-minded.  Grace sees the options.
12.Religion is self-absorbed.  Grace always notices the other.
13.Religion talks, often yells.  Grace weighs words carefully and often prays.
14.Religion points fingers.  Grace admits its own need.
15.Religion reacts.  Grace responds.
16.Religion is convinced it has all the answers.  Grace is open to the
questions.
17.Religion brags about self.  Grace brags about Another.
18.Religion is about what I can do for God.  Grace is about what God has done for me.
19.Religion is loud and wants to be recognized by man.  Grace goes unnoticed and wants to be in God's presence.
20.Religion catches another messing up. Grace is there to help pick up the pieces when one messes up.  Grace gives hope.
21.Religion knows what to say.  Always.  Grace points others to the One who knows best. Never anywhere else.
22.Religion loves formulas.  Grace embraces life in the Spirit.
23.Religion has it all figured out.  Grace listens, even when it's uncomfortable.
24.Religion beats others up with the truth. Grace earns the right to be heard.
25.Religion is about me.  Grace is about Him.

I hate religion but oh how I love grace!  Cherish. Esteem. Prize. Treasure. All of the above. Use any one of them to describe my sentiments about grace and it fits.                

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth" (John 1:14)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Sherilyn, I have heard others share similar sentiments as yours, but they are rather perplexing to me. I think that you have redefined "religion" to mean "legalistic fundamentalism." If that were an accurate definition of "religion," then I would totally agree with your sentiments. But that's not what "religion" means. Wikipedia offers this introductory definition of religion: "Religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of life and the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency, or human beings’ relation to that which they regard as holy, sacred, spiritual, or divine. Many religions have narratives, symbols, traditions and sacred histories that are intended to give meaning to life." What's to hate about that? Just wondering...

    Blessings,
    Chad O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to hate about that, Chad but sadly, most often man has made "religion" something very different which may indeed be "legalistic fundamentalism." However, when I talk to those who have felt, or actually have been beat up by people who claim to be the people of God, most often they refer to them as "religious" and to their hurtful words or actions as a part of their religion. Right or wrong, its reality. Semantics, maybe.

    Also, I was one of the MOST religious for many, many years and oh man, instead of "giving meaning to life," it drained me of life and made my existence about doing, and being perfect. Not to mention trying to earn God's love and approval. Only in a life focused on a relationship with Jesus, full of grace and truth, have I found what brings me life as defined by the fruit of the Spirit. Transforming me, and my relationships.

    Hope that makes sense ... fair question.
    Thanks for asking, Sherilyn

    ReplyDelete