Monday, November 1, 2010

Don't You Just Love Airplane Stories?

I boarded the plane right on time and was headed for my assigned seat, 9B when I overheard a woman conversing with her husband about asking someone to give up their seat so that they could travel side-by-side.  She was my traveling mate, assigned to seat 9A, her husband directly behind her in 10A.  I honorably offered to trade seats with her husband which delighted them both and evoked a gracious comment from the husband about me. I smiled and took my place in 10A.  As I began to settle into 10A while watching a couple wrestle with their gigantic duffel bag and the overhead compartment, a perfectly coiffed blonde woman standing in the aisle near row seven caught my eye and with a smile and a rather patronizing tone said, "Dear, YOU are in my husband's seat."  I pointed to the gentleman in 9B and replied, "No, HE is ..." as I attempted to indiscreetly holler back my explanation about trading seats.  The couple in 9A and 9B seemingly ignored me.  Blondie insisted I abandon 10A because her husband clearly had ownership for this flight.  I gently tapped the guy in 9A on the shoulder and asked if he would kindly show the woman his boarding pass and when he did it revealed that he had indeed been assigned to 10A, now my assigned seat. Blondie appeared slightly stunned and bellowed to a gentleman standing in the aisle at about row five, "George, honey, what is your seat assignment?"  11B was his response.  I didn't wait for hers but simply gathered my belongings and moved to a new assignment yet one row back while muttering, "I'm happy to sit anywhere, really."  A few chuckles rose from the observant passengers as we exchanged glances.  No sooner had I set my posterior in 11B when a tall, lanky gentleman spoke to me, he had been standing in the aisle between the couple who had finally stuffed their over-sized duffel bag safely into the overhead compartment and Blondie.  "Would you sit in 11A so I can be on the aisle?"  Although asked with the inflection that indicates a question, it sounded far more like a command than a request.  I quipped, "Absolutely, I aim to please!"  The onlooking passengers began to laugh openly, I made one final offer to anyone who wanted to give up their seat for 11A.  No takers but plenty of  merriment.  Free pre-flight entertainment is always a plus. I prefer to watch it however, not provide it!  Sigh. I stayed in 11A for the duration of the flight and everyone seemed satisfied. Even Blondie.

As the plane taxied down the runway, I couldn't help but ponder the fact that my contentment came from simply having my mind fixed on my destination, the twin cities where our oldest son attends college.  I hadn't seen Ben for three months and a Bethel football weekend was ahead with the promise of perfect fall weather, plenty of Minnesota sunshine, time with friends and my 21 year old son whose company I thoroughly enjoy.  My seat assignment was a secondary issue at best. My heart began to drift to life as a journey and our tendency to get all worked up over the meaningless details like seat assignments. The interruptions in our schedule that inconvenience us.  The job assignment that we dread or the financial burden that never seems to go away.  The unexpected illness that slows us down.  The house that begs to be cleaned or the yard that needs to be mowed or far more importantly, the family member or friend that begs our attention when we are tired, empty, feeling selfish.  And on and on the details of life go causing us to demand a certain seat, next to a certain person, near a window or maybe an aisle and before we know it, our focus has shifted from our destination to the details that ultimately, just won't matter when all is said and done.

My heart recognized a vague connection to an amazing truth mentioned in Hebrews 12:2 about Jesus enduring the agony of death on a cross for the joy set before him.  Frivolous airport stories like mine although slightly humorous can hardly be compared to "enduring the cross" but the Spirit did use it to grab my attention for a brief moment and remind me of the ridiculousness of focusing on the details of life instead of on the destination.  It doesn't really matter if those details distract us from the ultimate destination of eternity or simply the destination of a day marked by joy and gratitude because I choose them, not necessarily because I feel them.  Destinations matter.  Seat assignments, not so much.  His truth grabbed my heart and my attention.  I trust they will make a difference in my days.


I was assigned to seat 10C on my return flight and I had no sooner settled in and secured my seat belt when I looked up and saw none other than Blondie and her husband headed down the aisle.  I grabbed my book and literally stuck my nose in it hoping that the two were assigned to seats next to each other.  Blondie's voice never pierced the airplane hum so I trust they were but seated behind me, I never knew for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment